Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Welcome to My Life

Wow, so I guess it is time I stopped just reading these and actually wrote one of my own. I even teach blogs as a type of nonfiction in my 9th and 10th grade English classes, so why not try it out? I'm already addicted to facebook, myspace, and several blogs so I guess this can be my catharsis. And boy, do I need one sometimes!

It's summertime and I am so excited about it! I get to spend every day with my son and I miss him SO much during the school year. He gets up around 7 a.m., eats breakfast with Daddy, and wakes me up by saying, "Hi Momma, what doin?" We watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, share some toast with butter, and play cars and blocks and whatever else he wants. Around lunchtime, we either meet Daddy for lunch or Daddy comes home. Then we run errands all over this tiny town--usually Wal-Mart and then the park. Evan LOVES the geese and ducks there. We feed them bread, so every time we buy bread, he thinks it is for the geese. Then he crashes for a nap and I do Mommy chores--laundry, dishes, vacuuming, cleaning toilets (glamorous I know), and gardening. I have worked EXTREMELY hard since we moved here to make our yard and garden areas look nice. It was a complete wreck when we got here last summer. I should have taken pictures. But now it looks so good, I need to take some pictures. Anyway, I digress...we wait for Daddy to come home, we play outside, and then we do whatever when Daddy gets home until bath/bed time at 9 p.m.

This week has been the most relaxed I have felt since August of 2008. My job was so incredibly stressful this year--I had 6 different classes, from 8th grade English to 12th grade English with and ACT Prep class in there too. Plus I was Senior Class Sponsor, Academic Team Coach, and commuting 37 miles one way. This was the first year I really didn't think I'd make it to the end. It just presented more challenges than I had ever faced and I felt like I was treading water and trying to survive rather than teach. Many days I just wanted to quit, not because I stopped loving teaching, but because I stopped being able to handle everything else that is wrapped up in "school." I won't get into it, because it is over and done with, and I know next year will be much better. It's the FIRST TIME in FIVE YEARS that I am not spending this week packing up my classroom and moving to a new school. And it feels good. Receiving Teacher of the Year and seeing how much my Senior Class loved me this year really made it all feel worth it. Some people may say that is trite or cliche, but I've never been one to give a damn what other people think.

So, here begins my blog. I can't promise wittiness or even sanity every time I post. I can assure you (whoever you are) that there will be stories of my son's amazing cuteness, and about my husband's annoying job that is both a blessing and a burden at times, my own job, and my life in Elk City, Oklahoma.

My heart longs for Texas--I think I've almost made it into a Paradise in my mind--I miss my friends, the people who know me so well I don't even have to speak and they know the thoughts in my mind, I miss the food, the sounds, the convenience of big city life (I know, traffic, pollution, crime, etc. but you can't ruin it for me), I miss being paid a whole lot more for the work I do, I miss being close to my family, I just miss home. I know I am cheating myself out of so many opportunities to make friends by secluding myself....but it will get better. We are going to Disney World soon, and when we come back, we are going to start going to a new church here in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment