Sunday, August 2, 2009

Writing a Book

So....I've been thinking about it for a while now, and I think this year I am going to start my book. I have had some of the most unique, memorable, wonderful, terrible experiences as a teacher the last 7 years and I have to chronicle them in some way. What better way but with a book!? I love to write, and I did manage to complete a thesis of 142 pages (which was actually kind of good if I say so myself), so I think I can do it. There's a lot to remember and some of it isn't important to anyone but me, but I feel like my students (as I estimate, I've taught almost 1500 kids in seven years) and their impact on my life should be written down, explained, expressed, their stories told.

There is no greater enigma in the education world than a teenager--I don't understand them, but I try, and that's more than some teachers do. There are so many who have left indelible marks on my heart and I want the world to know that beneath all their stupidity, immaturiry, recklessness, irresponsibility, rudeness, laziness, anger, depression, sloth, hormones, and disregard for sophistication, there lies a beautiful person who is worth hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment